Monday, March 1, 2010

The Foolishness of Homework




I've been weighing the pros and cons of homework, and I have come to a conclusion: homework is dumb. Many people probably think that I am simply another lazy teenager who hates schoolwork, but that is not the case. I even did some research on the truth about homework. In the analysis of the 1994 and 1999 Trends in Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) researchers were flabbergasted to discover that "Not only did we fail to find any positive relationships, the overall correlations between national average student achievement and national averages are all negative." Like I said, homework is dumb. So, why do we have it? Maybe it's so we can spend time learning outside of class. That seems reasonable enough. But, let's face it, who really tries to learn outside of class by doing homework? Learning is natural, and can't be forced upon you!

Homework causes stress, dissatisfaction, family antagonism, a decline in the desire to learn, and loss of time for other important jazz!!! Right? It doesn't help that EVERY teacher thinks their class is the most important class offered. One to two hours of homework a night isn't too bad, but one to two hours of homework a night for every single one of your eight classes is a bit much. Drives me CRAZY. (Crazy? I was crazy once. They locked me in a padded room. I liked it there. I died there. They buried me where the flowers grow. One of the flowers grew down and tickled my nose. It drove me crazy! Crazy? I was crazy once. They locked me in a padded room. I liked it there. I died there. They buried me where the flowers grow. One of the flowers grew down and tickled my nose. It drove me crazy! Crazy? I was crazy once...) Anyway, in all reality, I'm sort of writing this to procrastinate doing my homework...so, I guess I should go cause myself anguish.

No comments:

Post a Comment